Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2016

An Early Peek at Enura: Lawson's Letter to Cailan

© Konstantin Kirillov
Letter from Lawson Parker to Cailan Dant
(returned unopened)

You must not come for me. You must not think of my extended absence and the questions that each day offers. I am here in Vissorouy, for better or worse, and if I meet my demise, it will be in search of Elena and dispelling the darkness cast over your family.

There is no sense in losing two daughters. Yes, I think of you as my own! One of us must survive to protect your mother, and you are more clever than you think. She is in good hands, regardless of the dark clouds rolling in.

I am not dismissive of your concerns, nor those of the other hunters. It is likely a trap, though I have stumbled into more than I care to say. I am told that Lord Vangley is a man of his word, and if we cannot find common ground, he will let me leave without reprisal. You are not to worry.

I have not forgotten who I am or what has befallen my family. Vampires are not to be trusted. I taught you this, and Delilah, wicked as she is beautiful, illustrates this well. We are fortunate that you are still with us. Take in the ocean breeze for a few days longer.

Be not reckless, Calamity. If I am to return, then return to you I shall. You must do one thing and one thing only: wait for me. Do not go searching into the night. Be good company to your mother. Listen and obey her while I am gone. Give her the love that is owed her, the love that I cannot give her. Ease the burden that swells in her breast, for I am coming soon!

A townful of vampires cannot be reasoned with by blasting open their gates. If I ignored their letters, they would track me to your door. I will not drag you into the middle of this. Not again. There are far too many to deal with, and unlike the vampires we've hunted, the Vangleys are skilled practitioners of war.

If trouble finds me, others in our company are ready to ride to Vissorouy at moment's notice.

But it cannot be you.

With love and tenderness,

—L.

No comments:

Post a Comment