Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Late Start

Things didn't go my way today, but I'm not going to make excuses. Enura is important enough for me to carve out the time--even in the dead of night--to expand its universe. Right now I'm in the process of looking through all of the content and figuring out what to do with it. Some things that I told myself I must do, such as writing about Vangley's nightmare, have already materialized. I suspect I will proceed in this fashion for a while, alternating between Enura, Vampire Hunters: Prelude and Vampire Hunters: Calamity to determine the scope of the task at hand. Eventually I will settle into Prelude, where the series begins, and work my way to the end.

An entire draft exists for Prelude, so it's only a matter of editing and expansion. It will likely arrive sooner than expected, but I'm not going to rush it. I'm pleased with the work done thus far. Part of it was published and subsequently unpublished (Episode 1: Snare). I really don't want to release the book in parts. That was a mistake. It really deserves a full release rather than serialization.

If anyone is curious about what I did, I will make it available again shortly. Once I get my Patreon account set up, I intend on giving a copy to all subscribers, along with the opening teaser of Enura and yesterday's On The Blood-Stained Shore of Dreams.

PATREON

Patreon deserves further discussion. Think of a book or series that you enjoy, and would like to see a sequel. Would it be worth it to you to wait years for the author to squeeze a release into their busy schedule (which includes a day job) or with a minimal donation (let's say $5/month) help them make writing a full time job, which would result in monthly releases? (And that's not taking into account the access that you would have to them, that before was unheard of.)

Crowd funding is a powerful way for the community to support an artist and tell them rather loudly (since money speaks the loudest) that they want more. In return, that artist can make their work available for free (such as on this blog) for all to enjoy.

At first I didn't think people would support such a venture, but now I find myself a Patreon of two individuals, one of whom is an artist I hope will illustrate my vampire novels.

By supporting an artist directly, you would likely get a significantly better release than previously possible. I plan to spend a good portion of my Patreon donations on illustrations and editing, both of which would be difficult out of pocket. Aside from getting the book out faster, you would get the best possible version. It's not such a bad deal, especially if you enjoy the content and can't wait to find out what happens next.

As for me, I'm not quite ready for Patreon yet. First, I need to get this blog in order, contribute to it regularly, and put the finishing touches on some forthcoming releases. Once I have something that people want, I'll make a push in that direction.

ON BONUS CONTENT

All of the bonus content generated for this site will eventually find its way into new releases, one way or another. I like to think of everything that I produce as a book. The more content I create, the more obvious the underlying form becomes. All of these blog posts will be compiled into The Making of Enura and gathered in one definitive edition. Will the enhanced release be available on Amazon? This is a point of much debate, but it certainly will be available to my Patreons and in my online store, which I'm in the early stages of putting together.

For me, bonus content makes a purchase worthwhile. Sometimes I find myself skipping ahead to read it before diving into the main course. I guess I can blame James Cameron for that. His special edition laserdiscs made for spectacular experiences in my home theatre. I loved the commentary, featurettes and behind the scenes footage. It gave me perspective on the enormity of the task, and what the crew was able to overcome. The extra 20-30 minutes of Aliens and The Abyss didn't hurt, either. What can I say? He spoiled me, and I want to to do the same for you--create the best experience possible.

I'm only working on one story right now: Enura. Everything else, including Vampire Hunters, is there to support it, and can be thought of as bonus content. If I do one thing right, it will be Enura. It gets the royal treatment.

THESE QUESTIONS...

Most of the new content that will find its place as bonus content comes from questions that I have about the story's origins. "What was Lord Vangley dreaming about?" was one of the first that crossed my mind. After typing up a 2,000-word short, which still needs a fair amount of editing, I feel that I have answered it to my satisfaction. With that question answered, I find myself intrigued by another: How did Enura acquire the dress that is worn in the third chapter of the story? Who did she get it from? And most importantly, who did she kill?

Questions like these may seem inconsequential to some writers. Why bother going into that level of detail? Some poor soul crossed her path, lost her dress and her life with it.

But it is in such details that the world comes alive and shines vibrantly. Yesterday I did not fully understand the dream that tormented an elder vampire. Today I do. What revelations will come from tracing the dress back to its original owner? How might the story be enhanced because of it?

Although I need to be careful not to go overboard with analysis, I've set up my tent and intend on staying a while. For now, no question is too small. I want to understand so that I can breath new life into Enura and make it everything that it should be. There's something special here. I can see it in its bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment